Backyard Bumps and Bruises: Outdoor Safety for Kids
Bumps, Bruises, and Bites oh my! These are just a few of the events children can come across when exploring the wild outdoors beyond their home. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over the course of a year about 9.2 million children take a trip to the emergency room for an accidental injury. Children spend most of their time outdoors exploring, gardening, playing games, and participating in sports. And while these activities can be fun, it is important to be prepared on how to help them when one of those unexpected injuries occurs. Injuries could range from minor wood splinters that require minimal care, all the way to metal puncture wounds. Take a look at the resources below to learn more about outdoor first aid and safety.
- ACLS Wilderness First Aid Basics: Use these resources to help learn more and prepare for your next outdoor backpacking or hiking trip.
- REI Wilderness First Aid Basics: Learn how to become capable and self-sufficient when experiencing an outdoor injury with this site.
- Kidshealth First Aid and Safety: This site can help teach you how to stock a first aid kit, prepare for emergencies, and protect your child in and outside of the home.
- First Aid-What Is It?: Help your kids learn about first aid safety and it's importance with this site designed just for kids!
- Scholastic Outdoor Safety Tips for Kids: Help your kids enjoy playing outside by making sure they know what to do in case of a first aid emergency.
- Outdoor Safety Tips from the USDA Forest Service: Prepare for traveling the outdoors with these tips to help keep you safe and have a fun experience.
- Playground Safety Tips: Learn how to keep your children safe while they are playing on the playground with these tips from Safe Kids Worldwide.
- Playground Safety for Kids: This site has a bunch of great safety tips for children to be aware of while they are on the playground.
- Tips to Prevent and Treat Bug Bites: Help prevent bug bites in the outdoors with these tips from the American Academy of Dermatology Association.
- Identifying Bug Bites: What pests are living in your environment? Learn how to identify the bug bites you may encounter with help from this site.
- Fall Safety for Kids: Learn what precautions you can take at home to help prevent falls and injuries for children in the home.
- Poisonous and Non-Poisonous Plants: Use this illustrated list of plants to learn which ones are safe and which ones are poisonous.
- WSSA Poisonous Plants: This site will help you become educated on which plants are poisonous and can cause allergic reactions, rashes, and injures.
- Splinter Removal: Learn about the process of removing a wood, glass or metal splinter from a body part.
- World Health Organization-What is Tetanus?: This site will help educate you on the signs and symptoms of tetanus and how to prevent it.
- First Aid Basics: Beginner's can learn all about first aid and how to take care of an injured person with these first aid basics.
- National CPR Association's Wilderness First Aid Basics: Educate yourself and others on wilderness first aid basics and CPR in case of a medical emergency.
- How to Treat a Child's Sunburn: Harvard Health gives some great tips on how to help your child avoid the pain and danger of sunburns.
- Preventing Heat Stroke in Kids: Learn about heat stroke, the symptoms, and how to prevent it with help from this site.
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Heat-Related Illnesses: Educate yourself on heat related illnesses such as heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke from this site.
- Cold Weather Injuries: This site will help you learn how to notice the signs of hypothermia, frost bite, and other cold weather injuries.
- Spring Allergies: 8 Ways to Help Your Child: Notice the symptoms and learn how to care for your child's spring allergies.
- ACAAI Children and Allergies: Learn all about different types of allergies that children can have from the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology.
- Children's Hospital Pediatric Asthma: Become educated on asthma in kids and what the triggers can be for them from this site.
- Asthma Basics for Kids: This site is great for kids to learn about asthma, how to control it, and what can trigger it.
- Children and Concussions: The Cornell Concussion and Brain Injury Clinic will help teach you about concussions and how to handle your child getting one.
- Water Safety Tips: Educate yourself and others on the dangers of drowning and become prepared with these water safety tips.
- Water Safety USA: Learn how supervision and other water safety tips can help your child stay safe in the water.
- Drowning Prevention Toolkit: These key points will help you learn how to help prevent drowning and increase your safety in the water.
- Pool Safely Kids Corner: These educational videos and activities will help children learn about how to stay safe while swimming in the pool.
Alan Bernau Jr